People are always somewhat scared of going to a dentist as they may go for painful tooth extraction. But taking care of your teeth is extremely necessary. That’s why it is mostly recommended that you should visit a holistic dentist. Dental Healing Arts provide the best holistic dentists. They have the most experienced holistic dentist who knows how to take care of their client’s oral health.
What does root canal mean?
A root canal is a procedure used to treat infected tooth pulp by cleaning and sealing off the canals at the base of a tooth.
Dental restoration is the process of saving a tooth that has fallen victim to decay or illness and needs to be removed because:
- Injuries to the teeth or a weak genetic makeup can cause fractures.
- Spaces or recesses.
- Flaws in previous models.
There are three main parts to a tooth: the enamel, dentin, and pulp. The pulp contains the tooth’s blood arteries, nerves, and connective tissue. Even though the pulp is required for the development of the tooth’s roots, a mature tooth may survive without it since it receives enough nourishment from the surrounding tissues.
An infected or inflammatory pulp must be removed during a root canal operation before the canals can be cleaned, disinfected, filled, and sealed.
What is an alternative approach to a root canal?
These days, science has progressed a lot and there are many ways and new treatments that can be used as an alternative to root canal treatment. Here some of them are explained:
Direct capping of pulp
- The dental procedure known as direct pulp capping may be required if the pulp of a tooth has been exposed owing to severe decay or damage.
- Preventing the need for a root canal or tooth extraction is one reason a dentist would recommend it.
- It involves applying a material over the pulp. Direct pulp capping is most often accomplished using calcium hydroxide or mineral trioxide aggregate.
The process of pulpotomy
- Pulpotomy is a procedure in which the pulp is surgically removed. The pulp can be protected in the same way with this method as with direct pulp capping when it has been exposed due to tooth decay or damage.
- Several significant distinctions separate pulpotomy from root canal pulp removal (pulpectomy). This is because, unlike a root canal, the pulp and nerve of the tooth are not removed during a pulpotomy.
- Pulpotomy refers to the surgical removal of the inflamed pulp. Finally, a healing and antimicrobial chemical are injected into the pulp to finish the process.
The tooth and its root are taken out at the same time during extraction. This process is often commonly referred to as a tooth extraction.
If the decay or damage is sufficiently extensive, it may be necessary to remove the tooth. In this scenario, your dentist may recommend removing the tooth rather than doing a root canal.
A dental office is a viable option for some extraction procedures. Forceps are utilized to firmly grip the tooth during a routine extraction. The tooth is then loosened through a variety of dental techniques before being extracted.
It may be necessary to consult an oral surgeon for very challenging extractions. Techniques like cutting and stitching are often used. It may be required to fracture a big or stubborn tooth into many pieces before it can be extracted.
Why should you consider root canal treatment?
Your dentist may recommend a root canal if they believe it is necessary to save your tooth. They looked at your teeth and concluded that other treatments are unlikely to be as effective.